I was five years old when I discovered the power of fire. Sadly the incident resulted in the loss of my favorite teddy bear, Daithi O’ Bear.
It was a damp and dreary Irish day, and I thought Daithi looked cold. I decided that I would warm him up by placing him on top of the electric toaster. Unfortunately, electric toasters and stuffed bears do not mix. My beloved Daithi began to smoke in an alarming fashion. It was when I saw the flames, that I decided I needed to dump a jug of water on the now very warm bear
It only took a week to get rid of the smell of singed fur, and the electrician that came to fix the house was most understanding (“happens all the time” he said). My parents eventually forgave me, although until I was 14 years old I still had to ask my mother to make me toast. My younger sibling was less forgiving: because the electricity was out, he missed the final episode of Doctor Who. I see the missed Doctor Who as perfect revenge for the incident of the broken dollhouse (and the less said about that the better).
The Dublin Public Records Office was not so lucky. In 1922, a massive explosion and fire destroyed the building and one thousand years of irreplaceable documents. The explosion was caused not by a flaming teddy bear, but munitions stored by rebels who had captured the building.
Sdaedalus has discovered the correct way to burn a teddy bear. She will follow that advice next time.